Thursday, July 5, 2012

July 4th


Yesterday was July 4th, and for the first time since I came here, I kind of missed the U.S. It’s so interesting thinking about how we each identify ourselves – here, when I meet someone, I usually say “Well I’m from America, but I was born Egypt … so y’know … Africa…” because I’m always afraid that people perceive Americans as obnoxious. And I mean, I love America, but we are kind of obnoxious sometimes, as a country. It’s just like how last semester I was really annoyed that the United States wasn’t first on a drop-down menu of countries, even though the countries were in alphabetical order. The U.S. is obviously above alphabetical order.

Another thing I’m realizing is how everyone, from different countries, knows so much about the U.S. – about our politics and economics and people. We really do influence so many other things in this world.

Anyway, 4th of July! Sarah and I hiked up Lion’s Head, to watch the sunset and the moon rise. It was amazingly, amazingly beautiful. I was freaking out about the hike up, because there was a really steep part with chains and foot holds and I’m super uncoordinated, but it wasn’t bad! I was so happy when we made it to the top, and we just sat and looked at the beautiful view and watched the sunset and ate dinner, and then saw the city lights became brighter and brighter, and the sky became darker, and the stars came out, and the moon. 

It was such a beautiful day, I was so happy. Getting down was really scary, because it was so dark, but it was completely worth it. I tripped and fell, not when we were climbing down the rocks, but when we got to the easy sand pathway, haha.

I know I said this before, but there's something wonderful, beautiful, valuable in being engulfed by how big the universe is, and how small we are. And how connected we all really are to each other. And that's why, I think, hiking and climbing and getting away from the busyness of things was such a wonderful experience. Because you could look down at the city with a sense of calm and finally be able to acknowledge the beauty of the place we live in.  


















No comments:

Post a Comment